Anticipation is a fun thing and can also be scary. It keeps me on my toes asking the question, what’s next? It is a dangerous question to ask because it makes me question the status quo and gets me out of my comfort zone. I am always looking forward to what God would do in my own own heart, in my family and in our church and as we go in to the fall I want us to get this next step right. For this reason I am going on a FAST and I would love for you to join me. Fasting is when we deprive ourselves of something meaningful, habitual and even necessary for life to hear the voice of God.
- “As soon as I heard these words I sat down and wept and mourned for days,
- and I continued fasting and praying before the God of heaven.” Nehemiah 1:4
How should we fast together?
- A Time for Seeking the Face of God – I want nothing more than to be in step with what God wants for us together. I feel like the season we are in is one of preparation for what God is about to do and this fasting is a time for Jesus to speak to us. On September 23 we will be breaking our fast and launching into Acts 9, our Momentum series, and announcing the biggest faith step we have ever taken. I feel like we need a safe passage through this next season of our church. Ezra 8:21 Read what Ezra did…
- A Time for Covenant Together – I want this fast to be something meaningful to you. I am going to be fasting meat much like Daniel did in Daniel 1. This isn’t a time for legalism but of realizing God’s great love for us and our dependance on him. When Jesus was fasting he said, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.” Matthew 4:4. This is our opportunity to reinforce our love for HIS church and HIS plan with HIS good direction intended.
- A Time for Studying – That doesn’t sound very sexy does it? Studying? What? Yes. I would invite you with me to study through the book of Joshua. I finally decided to do this fast when I read Joshua 1:3, “Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given to you, just as I promised to Moses.” I wouldn’t have gotten to that nugget if I wouldn’t have read the word that day! What if that verse was our reality? I will be reading one chapter a day and posting some of my thoughts here on my blog. (Tomorrow I will post my thoughts on Joshua 1)
This is a really big deal for us together. This will define the future direction of the church! I want nothing more than to be in step with the Holy Spirit and his heart for this community. I love you guys and can’t wait to watch it unfold.
What’s Next? I can’t be 100% sure but I am clear that the Holy Spirit will guide us.