Age is just a number, but it does have me thinking. What is life all about? Birthdays with a “zero” cause us to contemplate all life is; Disappointments, regrets, thankfulness, opportunity, successes, everything. Here is one key question I am trying to live by everyday, regardless of how long I live. “What is the wise thing to do? Here is the greatest challenge you will ever face, having the mind of Christ in all situations. If you follow Jesus this verse is true for you “But we have the mind of Christ.” (1 Corinthians 2:16). Many times the reason we get ourselves into difficult situations is because of our own poor choices. We think things through without God. But there is hope.
Life is not about how long you live, but how you live.
4 Words To Live By –
1. Conviction – What do you stand for? Standing for the wrong thing won’t matter, but having the right convictions will lead you to powerful, meaningful years.
- Learn to Trust Jesus in every situation – The Gospel is the principle that trumps every other driving force, desire or passion. His sacrifice and redemption has given me reason to trust.
- Love my family well – I am in Uganda today celebrating my 40th birthday with the incredible gift of three new sons. I am torn, missing my 3 children in New Jersey, but I am making the choice to love my wife and these six children with everything in me. This is the most important legacy I will leave.
- Serve the church – Offering my life to God for His purpose is pure joy. Using it to bring honor and glory to him is critical.
2. Compassion – Who will you show mercy to today? Showing compassion is a lifestyle. If you look for the opportunities, compassion will rise up within you. The more you want, the less compassion you tend to have. Ambition can squash out compassion. “Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.” (John 15:13). This is true compassion.
3. Character – What will you be known for? Consistency over a lifetime of depending on God is what I am aiming for. “My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast. (Psalm 57:7) This is my prayer for my life. Emotional decisions accentuate problems. Wisdom gives clarity to your steps.
4. Challenge – “Do you depend on your comfort?” Temporary suffering is nothing compared to your eternal glory. Don’t seek comfort, seek the will of God. Most of us tend towards comfort, but when God gives you the command to follow, your job is to simply obey, whatever the outcome.
Please pray that we can return home with our 3 sons soon. I am missing you all and praying for you constantly. 40 is just a number, looking forward to the next 40!
Join us at 217church, a multi-site, contemporary church in Mercer County NJ. 217church is a family with small groups in New Jersey and Pennsylvania that meets Sundays in the Hamilton AMC24 Theater 10:00am and Sharon Elementary school in Robbinsville, NJ at 11:00. Our new Robbinsville/East Windsor Campus meets every Sunday. If you are looking for a church in East Windsor NJ, Lawrenceville NJ, Ewing NJ, Robbinsville NJ, Hightstown NJ, Hamilton NJ, Mercer County, Middlesex County or Bucks County, PA, we would love to have you join us. Don’t miss our weekend services. Visit www.217church.com for more information. or watch a weekend message here