You don’t go as far as your DREAM, but as far as your TEAM
Today’s reading – Acts 6:1-7
I am writing tonight from the Dominican Republic. We as a church and family have the privilege of supporting an incredible mission organization called Mission 25/35. They are working tirelessly to do four things in the Santiago area of the D.R. to promote sustainable communities. Clean water, food, healthcare and job training. These four pillars are the foundation of the dream of this mission outpost. I am here with the leadership dreaming and visioning a way forward for the incredible work they are doing. And let me tell you, the dream is big and the team is capable and incredible.
“Don’t just tell me what you are going to do, show me, invite me, and let’s do it together.”
Have you ever had a BIG dream that never came to pass? Most of us have experienced the disappointment of something we felt called to but never saw come to fruition. Maybe the most important question you will ask is, “who is with me?” The disciples had the courage to recognize they couldn’t do it all, and that allowed them to lead the early church forward. They needed to stay in their strength zone. They were to be devoted to the prayer and the ministry of the word. (Acts 4:4)
3. Engage in Healthy Conflict – “A team that is unified knows how to disagree.” If everyone agrees all the time you may have a dysfunctional team. Providing a safe place for healthy discussion and disagreement actually FOSTERS UNITY. Allowing input from everyone with respect and inclusion shows honor for the role they play and how God has gifted them. Remember unity does not mean uniformity.
The 40 Day Fasting Explanation
A season of fasting and prayer – Over the next 40 days leading up to our 9th anniversary, our church family will be in a season of fasting and prayer. I invite you to come along with us and ask God for a transformation by the renewal of our minds.
1. An Everyday Habit in the Word – Each day I will be sending out a short devotional based on some selected readings. This begins through a simple prayer of asking God to renew us.
2. Continual Fasting – A 40 Day Prayer and Fasting Guide for 217church
God has blessed us through incredibly unique circumstances over the last nine years as 217church. We have baptized over 275 people and been given the unique calling to have a church planting and multiplication vision. The past 18 months of ministry have led the pastors and elders to call us as a congregation to a season of prayer and fasting. We want to use this time to understand the depth of God’s heart for us and the next steps he is calling us to. I trust your heart will be open and God will bring us to a deeper understanding of what it means to “rebuild lives one person at a time.”
We believe God wants us to fast over a period of 40 days. As a reminder, what you choose to fast is between you and Jesus. But you may want to include some natural encouragement and accountability over this 40 day period. This may mean you are doing one of the following as an example:
- Skipping a meal or a whole day of meals.
- Eliminating something like sugar, coffee, or meat to remind you of your total dependence on God.
- Encouraging one another in the church family as you pray together and sacrifice your physical sustenance for spiritual direction and focus.
What will God do? I am looking forward to see his direction.
Renewal is on the way – Join me along this process
Josh Conn is the founding pastor of217church, a contemporary church in Mercer County NJ. 217church meets Sundays at 9:30am & 11:00am at Sharon Elementary school in Robbinsville, NJ. Visit www.217church.com for more information, or watch a weekend message here.