I remember my first day of working a job. I was 14 years old, nervous as can be but excited to step up and start being a man and getting a pay check. I bussed tables at a local restaurant. I’ll never forget the rush of putting on the uniform getting trained, and getting some stuff done! (Did I say getting a paycheck too?) Unfortunately, in our culture unhealthy work habits have created all kinds of problems. People are stressed out, burned out, overworked, entitled, and some of us may complain a little too much. But the truth is our work is a blessing. I loved working!
Work has been turned from a curse to a blessing, all because of Jesus. #Provision
“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters.” Colossians 3:23
Now, I fully understand you may not be working in your so called #dreamjob right now, you may be feeling stress, and you may be wishing you were paid more money, but Having a J-O-B is what grown ups do. It is a blessing from God. Work is the provision of the simple things. Maybe you aren’t ready for that #dreamjob yet. Maybe it isn’t ready for you! Honor God with where you are and remember, HARD WORK ALWAYS pays off and shows in your character first.
5 Characteristics of a Dream Job –
1. It Gives Us Relationships – Think of all the people at work who are your friends and have been your friends. (Now if you don’t have any friends at work, that may be saying something about you) These people are there so you can build relationship with them. You are not there on accident. You are there to serve them, get to know them, and serve them. #Dreamjob
2. It Provides for Our Needs – Did you eat this morning? Do you live under a roof? It’s simple really. The person who started the business you work for is providing for your needs. You ate today because of them. This is something to be grateful for. When we the last time you thanked your co-workers and your employer for the opportunity to have a paycheck? #Dreamjob
3. It Is Our Opportunity to Serve and Love People – One thing that will build your character is being a part of a team where you get to serve people and have a positive impact. By the way, I know what some of you are thinking…”As soon as I get another job, I am OUTTA HERE.” That’s nice, but God has you there for a reason! What if you were the person at your work who cared about people? The people you work with need to know Jesus, period. #Dreamjob
4. It Keeps Us Busy – Since when has being busy been a bad thing? Whenever you ask someone, “how are you?” and they say with exasperation, “BUSY!” say, “good, being busy keeps you from doing stupid things!” Having a job keeps you out of trouble! And please, can we all find a new answer to this question besides “busy”? Now, Excessive work is evil, and if you are in a job where emotional and stress levels are unhealthy, take appropriate action. BUT – I’ve never understood people who don’t want to work at all, especially those who are out of work and are waiting for the “perfect job”. Redefine your #Dreamjob.
5. It Teaches Us to Rest – God worked for six days and on the 7th he rested. There you go. You have permission, take a sabbath. If you are always tired and stressed out, you need to learn how to simply take a day off. If you can’t take a day off you are on a dangerous road to emotional, physical, and mental collapse. #Dreamjob
In short work is amazing! Treat your current job like your #dreamjob and watch what happens. Honest, hard work is amazing!
Our Financial Breakthru Series starts Sunday at 217church. Come explore 4 words that lead to financial break thru:
February 26 – Work / God is our provider
March 5 – Give / Give up control
March 12 – Save / Plan for the future
March 19 – Live / With NO regrets
Josh Conn is the founding pastor of 217church, a contemporary church in Mercer County NJ. 217church meets Sundays at 10:30am at Sharon Elementary school in Robbinsville, NJ. Visit www.217church.com for more information. or watch a weekend message here.