It’s that time of the year. Fantasy football drafts are happening everyday! For those of you who are into fantasy football, the anticipation of the fantasy draft is a lot of fun. How it works is that you draft players who play for your team on game day and earn points for your team based on how they actually perform on the field. When they succeed, YOU SUCCEED. It is good fun but let me ask you a serious question? If you were to draft a team to help you accomplish your dream for your life, who would you draft?
“Without counsel plans fail, but with many advisers they succeed…” Proverbs 15:22
Who do you need on your team in order for your dream to happen? YOU NEED PEOPLE BETTER THAN YOU! You need a diverse team full of people with varying skills and experiences, different ages and personalities, but regardless, you need the best! In many ways these people will help protect you from yourself.
How To Draft an Elite Fantasy Team
#1 Know Exactly What You Need- Part of the challenge in getting to where you want to go is knowing how to identify the needs. You will need to shore up different weaknesses. Knowing what you are trying to accomplish dictates the WHO! Too many self reliant, prideful people try to accomplish a big vision on their own. If you want to accomplish a BIG DOG dream you better have BIG DOGS on your team. I want the BEST team possible! Who is on my team? Below you will see 5 different goals I have and then WHO is on my fantasy team. You will quickly see, the WHO IS CRITICAL.
- Build a Family Together / Summer – Listen, I made a decision a long time ago that I didn’t want to do life alone. So I found someone to love and take with me together on this ride. She is my 1st round draft pick EVERYTIME. I will always choose Summer and my kids over every other goal, dream and possibility. The church can get another pastor, but I am the only one who can fulfill the role of Dad to my children. Most important draft pick…spouse.
- Adopt Children / Bethany Christian Services – We drafted them two years ago to help us fulfill the dream of opening our home to orphans who need love, health and education. They are an incredible christian organization focused on putting a dent in fatherlessness. I want their whole team on my team! Sometimes it is a person you need, other times it’s a whole organization.
- Coach me Personally and Professionally / Greg – I knew I needed someone from the outside to help me build a high quality plan for my life personally and professionally. A trusted advisor who I could ask ANYTHING who would give me honest objective answers. You don’t see what you don’t see. Greg helps me see what I wouldn’t have otherwise. Greg runs a coaching organization and has coached hundreds of pastors to live with conviction and intentionality.
- Successfully Plant & Grow 217church – Dan & Bonnie & Staff. Dan is the Executive Pastor of 217church and Bonnie, well, she is like a swiss army knife wife to Dan. Have a question? A problem? She will help you through it. I drafted them 4 years ago when we planted the church. Then there is our INCREDIBLE staff team. Kevin, Justin, Arlynet, Tim, Kelly, Sandy. I love you guys. You make it happen. Let me add one more name, Matt. Matt was there from the conception and now pastors Element church. You need people who are doing what you are doing to learn from and bounce ideas off of.
- Advise Financially and Pay Taxes / Donna – She is the best accountant/ tax professional I know. She is honest, clear, focused, no nonsense, gold! Paying your taxes and financial integrity are HUGE issues and you will need help to navigate this.
#2 Stop Making Excuses: Maybe you feel like, “all the good players are gone.” This is simply not true. One thing I like to do as a fantasy football player is to find the “diamond in the rough.” This means finding someone no one else thought had much value and picking them in the later rounds. Sometimes you choose someone no one else thought had value. This will take an incredible investment of time and energy, but is worth it. Sounds like what Jesus did for us!
#3 Cast a Compelling Vision: If someone were to sign up to be on your team, would they be motivated by the big target on the wall? Or would your vision be lackluster? You know you have a God-given vision when God has to show up in order for it to happen! If you can do it without God and faith, your vision probably won’t be compelling and people will not be inspired.
#4 Get Courage To Ask: This is where risk comes in. At some time I had to ask all the people above to be on my team. For some of them it took longer than others. Make no mistake about it, when someone comes on your team, you must be committed to serving them. It’s not about you but the vision. People want to be a part of something world changing and your job is to give them that opportunity. Sure you might get rejected, but keep in mind, you don’t want people on your team that won’t be 100% committed to the vision, so let them go.
Building a team is fun, rewarding, but takes a lot of work. Take time right now and determine what are your biggest needs. Here are some more ideas for building a fantasy team that will serve you well:
- Spiritual advisors
- Confidential friends
- Legal advisors
- Physical trainer
- Health Doctor
- Tax professionals
Josh is the lead Pastor @217church. Join us this Sunday at 9:30 or 11 am at the AMC 24 Theater in Hamilton, NJ! We are a unique contemporary church in Central Jersey dedicated to restoring lives and rebuilding and renewing the community around us. If you live in the Mercer County, Burlington County, Middlesex County or Bucks County, PA area, learn more about 217church by clicking HERE.